Friday, 4 October 2013

Some thoughts on finding foreign films



Thanks to the internet, it’s really quite easy these days to find out about foreign-language films and identify the ones that interest you. But how do you go about actually watching them? 

The fact is, many areas of the UK do not have cinemas that show foreign films on a regular basis. In most of the places I’ve lived, I’ve been lucky to have easy access to cinemas such as the Showroom in Sheffield and the Broadway in Nottingham. However, many people have to travel quite a way to watch anything other than the latest blockbusters (which I’m not disparaging, don’t get me wrong; I like a good superhero movie as much as the next person).

But if you love cinema and want to see films in languages other than English, you can normally find a way:

- I am eternally grateful to online rental and streaming services because without them, I’d be waiting for the occasional foreign film on BBC Four. One that I’ve been meaning to try out for a while is Curzon Home Cinema (thanks to Rachel Malcolm over at Francofille for the heads up!)

- Does your local university have a cinema? If so, they probably show a couple of films each week (generally a couple of months after their release), many of which may not have been shown at your local multiplex. Tickets tend to be slightly cheaper than normal cinemas and I often find that they offer a more pleasant atmosphere because the audience has made a real effort to seek out the film.

- Are there any film societies in your area? Do a quick search online and you never know what you might find! If you want to start a society, check out the British Federation of Film Societies, which has more than 750 titles available for booking, and also provides a map of societies already running around the country.

If you have any other suggestions, or examples from your neighbourhood, I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. After linking to this post on Twitter, I've also been made aware of another online service, MUBI, which allows you to enjoy 30 films per month for just £2.99 and looks pretty good. Thank you to @AnnedeFreyman for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete