Thursday, 18 April 2013

Let's get started ...



Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sarah and I am – and always have been – a huge film fan. From watching cartoons as a child, I soon developed a love for James Bond (although it would be a few more years before I understood the innuendo), Indiana Jones and everything else the world of movies had to offer – although I have to admit that I’m not too keen on Westerns and I am slightly squeamish, so that rules out most of the horror genre.

Nowadays, I work with languages as a translator and proofreader from German to English, so it’s no surprise that I really enjoy world cinema. But the one thing that sometimes frustrates me is the huge difference in the number of foreign-language films that are subtitled and released in UK cinemas. Compared with films in French and Spanish – and even Japanese and Korean, thanks to the surge in popularity of Asian horror movies – German-speaking countries are pretty poorly served.

And so my blog was born. Every week or fortnight, I will write about the best German films available with English subtitles, and maybe even highlight films that aren’t (but should be) available to English-speaking audiences. I’d love to hear your recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment